Tribal Research Institute has been set up by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India with the need for continued research on cultural, anthropological, socio economic and related issues concerning the tribals. While such researches are currently undertaken by many organizations, such as the Anthropological Survey of India, Universities and other specialized institutions, it is important on the part of Tribal Research Institute to undertake research studies in terms of knowledge advocacy.
Tribal Research Institute J&K is engaged in the work of providing planning inputs to the Government, conducting research and evaluation studies, collection of data, identifying challenges in the field of socio-economic development of tribals and understanding promoting and preserving their culture. Training and capacity building of stakeholders, and knowledge advocacy that would help formulate evidence based policy and planning are also the thrust area of the TRI. As part of the research activities the TRI J&K is also taking concrete steps for establishment of Tribal museum to preserve the tribal art, craft and culture.
Our Main Functions include:
- To conduct fundamental and applied research works on socio economic condition , language, life , culture & heritage of the tribes of J&K and to guide/suggest different Govt. agencies in formulation of planning and decision making related to the development of the Tribes of J&K.
- To assist research scholars in conducting research works related to the tribes of J&K.
- To undertake evaluation work on development schemes taken up for the benefits of the tribes.
- To promote Tribal culture like tribal folk song, folk dance folk music through various events.
- To organize fairs and festivals of different tribes of J&K to unfold the rich and diverse cultural heritage of the indigenous people and to promote brotherhood and cultural interaction.
- To organize State and National Level Seminar on Tribal life ,culture and language.
- To organize workshop /training related to development of tribals.
- To publish books related to Socio-economic condition, Tradition, life & Culture of the tribes of J&K.
- To maintain a library in order to facilitate the research scholars on tribal studies.
- To demonstrate tribal heritage, culture, socioeconomic condition, dresses, ornament and everyday life through establishment of Tribal Museum.